Meatball sub- for those days I need something heartier to eat .
SPOILER ALERT !!!! JUST WAIT TILL THE END OF THE RECIPE TO SEE WHAT I ADDED TO TAKE IT UP A NOTCH.
Sometimes I miss my comfort food because the ingredients are not organic or gluten free. So I love coming up with my healthier version to satisfy those days when comfort food is what I need. Or on those colder days when you want something to fill you up.
Serves 2 so for large families double or triple the ingredients
For your greatest convenience we have provided links for your ingredients for this recipe. They can be delivered right to your door at a remarkable price.
Gluten free hoagies
Organic spinach leaves
Organic mozzarella cheese
- Make the meatballs first.
- When the meatballs are in the oven start making the marinara sauce.
- Place the tomato paste, the crushed tomato, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil in a pan on medium and add the garlic and onion.
- Saute until translucent.(about 2 minutes)
- Add the mixture from the blender.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- let cool for about 15 minutes
I like to heat my hoagie rolls in the oven. I place them on a baking sheet, sprinkle a little water on them and heat them in the oven at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until crisp.
- Cut hoagie roll on one side keeping the other side closed.
- Put in 3-4 meatballs(what ever fits comfortably in the roll)
- Add a couple of slices of mozzarella cheese
- Add some spinach
- Pour some marinara sauce to cover the meatballs
Now if you really want to take your meatball sub to the next level add some guacamole. BAM!!!!!!