Energize your morning with these “eggs”!
Uhmmm.. wait, Tiffany. The words “vegan” and “eggs” don’t go well together, especially in a recipe. Yes, eggs are a no-no if you opted for a plant-based diet. No worries, though, we have a recipe that tastes, feels, and looks like the real thing. People—vegans or not—will definitely like these Breakfast “Eggs”.
There are a lot of eggs substitutes used in vegan baking: bananas, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc. However, it’s hard to cut eggs out of your diet when you wake up one morning craving for some home-style and old school scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, none of the egg substitutes used in baking would seem to work for this dish.
See? Vegan breakfast doesn’t have to be all smoothies, and oatmeal, and avocado toasts! Best of all, this dish isn’t restricted to breakfast alone; you can use this for dinners, snacks, or when you just miss eating scrambled eggs.
Moreover, this dish doesn’t fall short of nutritional content. Since we are using the all-versatile tofu, this recipe is rich in amino acids, calcium, iron, and manganese, selenium, and phosphorous. Aside from that, you also get your serving of vitamin B1, copper, and zinc with these scrambled “eggs”.
• 2 (16 oz.) pkg. organic firm or extra firm tofu packed in water
• 3 Tbsp. vegan Margarine
• 2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
• 1¼ tsp. garlic powder
• 1¼ tsp. onion powder
• ¾ tsp. sea salt (or more to taste)
• ½ tsp. black pepper (or more to taste)
• ⅛ tsp. turmeric
1. First, open two packages of tofu and drain the water off.
2. Then, add the margarine to a large skillet, and turn the heat to medium.
3. Next, crumble tofu into the pan, and toss with margarine. Sprinkle the onion, garlic, turmeric, salt and pepper over the tofu and stir to mix. Cook on medium for approx. 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
4. When most of the water is cooked out of the tofu, add nutritional yeast and fold into tofu. Continue to cook over a medium heat. If you want it to brown for a more authentic color and texture, let the tofu cook on one side, and then using a spatula, turn it over and continue this process until desired brownness is achieved.
5. Serve with whatever you like. 🙂